The word that specifies the number of person or thing is called number.
There are two types of numbers.
(i) Singular (ii) Plural
Singular number: The noun that indicates only one person or one thing is called a singular number.
Example: man, boy pen
Plural number: The noun that indicates more than one person or things is called a plural number.
Example: men, boys, pens
The rules for turning a singular number into a plural number are as follows:
1. The plural form of a noun is usually created by adding-s to the singular form.
2. Nouns ending-s, -ss, -sh, -ch(soft) - x and z takes es in the plural.
But when ch is pronounced as k, only s is added to form the plural.
Monarch - Monarchs
3. Noun ending in y, preceded by a consonant, form their plural by changing-y into -ies.
But if y is preceded by a vowel, only -s is added to form the plural.
4. Nouns ending in -f or -fe form their plural by changing -f or -fe into v and adding - es.
But if a singular noun ends in -ief, -if, off, -fe, -ff, or -eef, only - s is added to the plural.
Belief - Beliefs
Note: The singular nouns hoof, scarf, wharf form their plural by adding -s or -es.
Singular - Plural
Scarf -Scarfs /Scarves
5. Singulars nouns ending in -o and preceded by a consonant form their plural by adding - es
But if o is preceded by a vowel, -s is added to form the plural.
Note: The following nouns formed their plural by adding -» or -es
6. Some singular nouns form their plural by changing the inside vowel of the singular.
Man Men Woman Women
7. Some singular nouns form their plural by adding -rn, -ren, or -ne to the singular.
Cow Kine (Cows)
8. If the compound noun ends in man and if that man means human beings, men are used in place of man to form the plural.
But if man indicates caste or citizen, only -» is added to form the plural.
9. Nouns ending in ful takes only -s to form the plural.
10. Compound nouns consisted of more than one words only -» is added to their principal part to form the plural.
But -s is added to each part of some compound nouns.
11. Some compound nouns take-s at the end to form the plural.
12. Letters, figures and other symbols are made plural by adding an apostrophe and -a
B. A. => B. A's
M. A. M. A's
t . t's
five five's But in modern uses only - a is used to form the plural.