The different actions we do, our emotions, feelings, hunger, movement, development, metabolism, fertility, and all the other factors are controlled by the hormones in our body. In short, we are controlled by the hormones produced from the glands present inside our body. The endocrine system is as important as the other systems are for all living organisms. Different glands are located in different parts of our bodies. It is a group of organs that makes hormones. They are directly released or secreted into the blood and then travel to the tissues and organs all over the body.
- Hypothalamus- helps control the water balance, sleep, temperature, appetite, and blood pressure. Location: at the base of the brain.
- The pineal body- produces the hormone melatonin. It is located in the middle of the brain.
- Pituitary- it controls metabolism, growth, sexual maturation, reproduction, blood pressure, and many other essential physical functions of our body. Location: at the base of your brain, below the hypothalamus.
- Thyroid- controls and affects our metabolism. Location: at the base of the front of your neck, just below Adam's apple of a person.
- The adrenal gland- produces hormones that help regulate your metabolism, immune system, blood pressure, response to stress, and other vital functions of your body. Location: on top of both the kidneys.
- The pancreas- makes pancreatic juices that are known as enzymes. These help in breaking down sugars, fats, and starches. Location: inside our abdomen, right behind the stomach.
- Ovary- it produces and stores female eggs and makes hormones that control your menstrual cycle and pregnancy. Location: they are found on either side of your uterus.
- Testis: it makes sperm and hormones in males to help in reproduction or fertility. Location: outside the male bodies.